27 OCT – 1 NOV 2024
This course is new for 2024! Note the dates, and express your interest through the Contact form!
Currently available places:
Violin: 16 of 16 – Viola: 6 of 6 – Cello: 5 of 5
Double bass: 3 of 3 – Flute: 3 of 3 – Oboe: 2 of 2
Clarinet: 2 of 2 – Bassoon: 2 of 2 – Horn: 4 of 4
Trumpet: 2 of 2 – Trombone: 3 of 3 – Tuba: 1 of 1
Timpani/Percussion: 2 of 2
- A friendly course – for adults and young people in the wonderful region of Emilia-Romagna, in north-eastern Italy.
- Lugo is our base – a medieval town situated between the UNESCO cities Bologna and Ravenna, both of which we will visit!
- Come and enjoy – the superb history, architecture, food and hospitality of this lovely region!
- Bring with you – your spouse / partner / children / friends are most welcome, and (non-playing ones) are exempt from the course fee.
- Express your interest – fill in the Contact form and you will then be among the first to hear when full details are available on this site and applications are open (in December).
The team – Peter Fender is the conductor and Jessica O’Leary the leader (see About Us).
Players required – see the list above for currently required players. We have people of a variety of standards across the orchestra.
Rehearsals – there will be five or six during the week, in Lugo, and the concert will be on the Friday, preceded by an additional late afternoon rehearsal.
The programme – will be confirmed when we have a better idea of the size of the orchestra, but without doubt we will play some Rossini, because he spent some of his youth living in Lugo! You can visit the excellent Rossini museum and Rossini theatre.
Emilia-Romagna – has been called the best area in Europe to spend time in by The Lonely Planet Guide!
Explore/relax – as well as the musical side of the week, there will be plenty of time to explore – whether your passion is perhaps history, architecture or food. Or you could just chill out with a glass of local wine in a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere!
Ravenna/Bologna – two of Italy’s most amazing cities are a short train-ride away from Lugo!
Welcome – there will also be a special meal to welcome us to Lugo, and a ‘behind-the-scenes’ tour of the town.
There are three costs involved (apart from general costs relating to food etc):
- Course – the standard course fee is £350 per person. This will include the cost of the welcome meal and a guided tour round either Ravenna or Bologna. Reductions will be available (for example, a £30 discount if you are a student or pay before the end of May 2024, or you come with playing family members).
- Travel – you must book and pay for your own travel.
- Accommodation– you must also book and pay for your own accommodation. We have agreed a special price with the main hotel in Lugo (the Ala d’Oro), and there are several other B&Bs and Air B&B properties.
NB: Large instruments – players of large instruments are eligible for help with the cost of transporting their instrument – alternatively we may be able to hire (for a small fee) an instrument for you in Lugo.